Office of the Under Secretary for Economic Affairs
To advance Departmental initiatives by conducting economic analysis, promoting business and commerce, guiding data-driven decision-making and evidence-building activities, and increasing access to government data while ensuring privacy and confidentiality.
Under the direction of the Secretary of Commerce, the Under Secretary for Economic Affairs carries out initiatives and duties, including:
- Coordinates economic analysis needs across the Department
- Leads Departmental initiatives involving the promotion of domestic business and commerce
- Provides policy direction and oversight of the Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) and the Census Bureau
- Leads the Department's initiatives and programs related to data, data policy, and data management
- Serves as the lead executive on other matters of importance to the Secretary
The duties of the Under Secretary's Office fall into broad categories—activities related to economic policy analysis and business development, directed by the Chief Economist and Deputy Chief Economist, and responsibilities related to the Federal Data Strategy and the Foundations for Evidence-Based Policymaking Act of 2018 ("Evidence Act"), guided by the Department's Chief Data Officer, Statistical Official, and Evaluation Officer.